10 February 2008

No Time to Chat - I Gotta Sew!!

Yowza, sometimes life can be hectic!! I have finished a couple of garments lately, but I haven't had time to blog about them. When things slow down at work I will be updating on my progress. This weekend has been "wearable muslin weekend", as I have been working on tweaking the fit of my wardrobe pattern for SWAP. So far, so good.

I was reading the Fabric Fast thread at PR and it started me thinking. Don't worry I'm not joining them - that's way more willpower than I'll ever have!! However, it did make me wonder how many garments I have in flat fabric form, in my stash, just waiting to spring to life. So I did a little math. Over the last two years I have sewn up 471.40 m of fabric into 267 garments. This means that, on average, I use around 1.75 m of fabric per garment. As of today, my fabric stash contains 963.10 m - so I have enough fabric to make 550 garments (963.10/1.75). Holy crap!! Ahem, pardon my language, but dang, I'm gonna need a bigger closet!!

9 comments:

Vicki said...

How exciting! 550 new garments. Better start on building that new closet!

Cherie said...

Sometimes the big picture is just too big! You are adorable!

MarilynB said...

I calculated by stash by SWAPs and came up with 26. At least we'll never have to go naked.

Dana said...

I'm no mathematician but I love how you convert everything into numbers. Maybe the next step is to put a retail value on these "someday" garments and compare it to your actual cost of materials. Wouldn't this show an unbelievable savings (and justify the stash)?

Dilly said...

267 garments in 2 years!!! Your closet must be pretty big already... :)

I have to say, you always inspire me to sew more because you are so prolific!

Wendy said...

I just tell my husband that in the case of a catastophe, I can always keep us warm and clothed. Between my spinning wheel, loom and sewing machines, including two treadles, I should be quite prepared.

Wendy in NM

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog.

Make sure that Simon sees the story about Uno on the New York Times website.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, you are the bright spot of my day. How many of those outfits do you actually keep? Do you donate the ones that are old or tired looking? If not, then you need to build a whole room (not just a closet) for your clothing & accessories. Enjoy the journey.

Linda L said...

I am looking forward to seeing those 550 garments.