11 June 2008

Japanamania

I loved the first Japanese pattern book that I got so much, that I bought a few others. Following Angie's advice, I checked out yesasia.com and before you could say "smokin' credit card", I had put three books in my cart. My new loot consists of the following:

Simple Chic by Machiko Kayaki















Pindot Polkadot Coindot Etc.
by Machiko Kayaki















Home Couture
by Machiko Kayaki















I simply cannot get enough of these books (and if truth be told, I have another three books on order - I'll show them to you when they get here). I could flip through them over and over and never get tired. There is something so appealing about the photography. Of course, I love the clothing, too. The lines are simple and clean, the fabrics are classic and sophisticated - it's like Machiko Kayaki peered into my head and created exactly the wardrobe that I want.

Even if I never make up a single garment, the inspiration to be found in these books is fabulous! However, I definitely do have plans to dive into some of these patterns as soon as I'm off on vacation.

Before I sign off, I wanted to say a big thank-you to everyone for their advice and suggestions on figuring out how to use these patterns. After studying the first book more closely, I have come to realize that reading Japanese is really unnecessary. Between the excellent diagrams and my sewing experience, I can't imagine I will run into any problems.

10 comments:

Tany said...

I own the two first books you showed and the third one is on my wish list! These books are gems, I love them!

Anonymous said...

More information about Japanese sewing patterns and a lot of Translations from Japanese to English can be downloaded at
http://www.antipope.org/feorag/gosurori/gr-patterns.pdf

Dana said...

You and your books! Maybe you should start a sewing lending library! Everytime you get excited about something I think, I've got to have that too! LOL

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

So when is school out? And will you be sewing more? I need a HungryZombieCouture sewn item fix!!!

Lory said...

I keep hearing of these, and of mrs. stylebook. I'm becoming intrigued, I'll have to check out that site!!!

Hugs,
Lory

Nancy K said...

I can't wait to see what you make from these books. I am assuming that these come with the diagrams for drafting the patterns?

angie.a said...

Ooh, I want the 3rd book too (have the first 2, they are WONDERFUL eye candy!)

They would take so much alteration for me to use it's not worth tracing the patterns for ME, but they are the perfect size for you (and my dd!) I still love thumbing through them for inspiration. I also have Skirt a la Carte and Fashion from Cinema (which I LOVE.)

Claire said...

Uh oh..now I'm in trouble. I bought the first book after you posted a picture and link. Now I'm feeling like the others need to follow. I'm not up to drafting my own patterns, but the eye candy and ideas are priceless. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You should subscribe to Mrs Stylebook. It's like Burda but Japanese. You get tons of patterns for the same price as a single book! It comes out 4x a year...

The J said...

Sigh. Why can't my library system be more progressive, and stock Japanese sewing books?!? I'm bookmarking all these great links for the day I've got the cash to make my own library!

In the meantime, I'll drool over whatever pics you post!