4 October 2008

Just call me Thyphoid Mary

Two weeks ago, I said that I was going to start posting again, didn't I? That was before all hell broke loose in my little corner of the world.

Consider the following...

Two weeks ago my Mom was in a car accident. I'll spare you all the gory details. Suffice it to say that a woman (stopped at a stop sign) pulled out in front of my Mom (who was traveling down a through street) and my Mom was unable to avoid her. Several blown air bags and one totaled Chrysler 300M (my Mom's retirement gift to herself a few years back) later and my Mom was in the market for a new car. Other than some stiffness and bruising, she is fine - no broken bones and no death (which is always a good thing). She now has a brand new, bright red, Chrysler Sebring and is doing well. So, one disaster averted.

One week ago, I started with cold-like complaints and fatigue. In short order, I started to get itchy and noticed small, raised welts on my torso. The itching quickly became unbearable and the rash started to spread outward toward my extremities. At first, I couldn't figure out what was happening to me. Do I have hives? Is it an allergic reaction? Then I remembered the young lady in my class the had similar symptoms. I also remember the local grade schools have had an epidemic of Fifth disease. So I start to google like mad trying to find out more. Hmm, Fifth disease is most common in 5 to 15 year olds. By adulthood only 50% of people are susceptible and I apparently am in that 50%. Yeehaw. The good news is that my immune system seems to have made quick work of the virus (although I have been sleeping a ton this weekend) and I seem to have avoided the swollen and stiff joints that can sometimes accompany the adult version of the disease. So now, of the five classic childhood exanthems, I have had two - I guess I can look forward to measles, rubella and scarlet fever at a later date. Sigh.



On the sewing front, not much has happened at Chez Shannon. Although I'm, itchin' (pun intended) to get back in front of the machine.

In other related news, I haven't bought any fabric in over two months - could it be that I have reached stash saturation? Only time will tell...

14 comments:

Maggie said...

Shannon, I was starting to get worried about you and yours. Fiqured it was something...and probably not a good something either. Glad mom is OK and has a new car to boot. As to you, try to stay healthy this winter. It's tough to be down and out at this time of the year. This not buying fabric must be catchy. Over on Carolyn's blog she says she has stayed clean and I haven't even looked very much let alone buy. So are we heading into a buying fest? Or will the clean and sober state continue? TBA
Marguerite
PS Glad you're back. I only read a few blogs in a daily basis so your absence was really starting to hurt!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Shannon - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom - glad that she is okay and has a new car too! And even sorrier to hear that you have had your bout with sickness...but I truly know that all is not right in your world because you haven't bought any fabric!

If that black 4ply silk crepe hadn't sold out I would have thought that between me and you we were bankrupting Fabric Mart!!!!

Glad you're feeling better and hope you get back in front of your sewing machine soon!!!

Linda L said...

Sorry to hear about the auto accident and your mom. Glad it all turned out okay. I have never heard of Fifth disease before and after seeing the link, I can feel how you would be itching. Glad you are on the mend.

kiltsnquilts said...

So glad your Mum is Ok and enjoying her new car - not the recomended way to get a new vehicle!! Sorry to hear you have been sick - as linda said, you must be sick to not be sewing or buying fabric!

We will wait patiently (well, can't promise!) for you to recover and start sewing again.

Get well soon!

Lory said...

Oh wow, that's horrible! There's so many irresponsible drivers out there.....I'm glad that your mom's ok though.

I hope you feel better soon too!

Hugs,
Lory

LauraLo said...

Oh Shannon, you've certainly been through a lot! I'm glad your mother is fine, I hope you'll be completely healed very soon and back to your sewing machine. My best thoughts are for you. Hugs!

Kitty Couture said...

What a scare (and a relief) for your Mom!!
I hope you will feel much better really soon, and that you manage to get back into the sewing groove in no time. Sewing is a fantastic healer. Take good care, Shannon!

Summerset said...

Wow. You have had quite the experiences recently. I hope everybody is on the mend now and that you haven't had to miss too much school!

Ann Made Studio said...

So sorry about your Mom, but glad sh's OK.
Hope you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Whoa, way too much to deal with and blog, too. I've had "slapface" and it can slap you right down for a few weeks. I was told it is a form of measles. Take care.
Glad your Mom had all those airbags to protect her and that's got new wheels and is doing OK.

Audrey said...

I am glad to hear your mom is fine. As a teacher I imagine you get exposed to more "bugs" than the average person. Take care of yourself! Don't worry about FMF. I am keeping their revenue up with big purchases of silk and wool.

Tany said...

I'm glad to know your mom is ok now.
I'm very susceptible to iches and alergic reactions on my skin; I wish you a quick and full recovery from that virus.

Nancy Winningham said...

Well, thank goodness your mom was OK. And, I'm glad to hear that you're recovering from Fifths. We had an outbreak of that here a couple of years ago as well. As teachers, our immune systems seem to be susceptible to everything. You'd think we'd build up more immunity wouldn't you? Hope you get your energy back right away and that things settle down. Of course, when we go like crazy, sometimes our bodies fight back by getting sick to MAKE us slow down!

June said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom's accident (but happy to know she's OK) and your parvo! I had parvo probably about 10 years ago, and although the rash didn't itch, I ended up with unbelievably bad arthritis-like symptoms in every fricking joint of my body that lasted for weeks. Lucky that you avoided creaking around like a hundred-year-old lady! Be well soon!