16 November 2009

Lacquer Lundi

I will not be posting for the next few days. Tomorrow, a colleague and I are heading down to Florida, to take a group of twenty-two students to Sea Camp (Newfound Harbour Marine Institute). It is a marine ecology educational facility in the Florida Keys (specifically, Big Pine Key). This is our third time going there. In the past, we have gone at the beginning of February and it has typically been a bit chilly (especially the water - brrr). However, this time around I think we will have warmer temps.

So in honour of the impending field trip, I decided to do a beachy theme for today's LL. Sand, sun and warm tropical waters...

So, let's get on to the pretties:

BB Couture - Balboa Beach Bunny
- purchased at overallbeauty.com for $9.00 US

Balboa Beach Bunny is a stunning dark purple base with micro glitter that flashes silver, red and blue. When I wore this polish, people kept grabbing my hand to get a closer look - it is an attention getter.

Balboa Beach Bunny applied nicely - easy to move around the nail and excellent consistency. It was perfectly opaque in two coats. It wore well - very minor tip wear after two days.







Avon Nailwear Pro - Sunshine

- purchased from avon.ca for $2.99 CDN

The more I use the Avon Nailwear Pro polishes, the more I love them. They are an excellent polish for the price and lately Avon has been putting out edgier colours - it's not just the typical pink, coral, red offerings of the past. Sunshine is another Avon winner, with its slightly mustard yellow creme dinish.

The two coats of Sunshine applied well for a yellow polish. Yellow polishes are notoriously streaky and chalky and the application is usually a pain. Although Sunshine still has a few streakiness issues, it is one of the best yellows I have ever used in terms of application and coverage. It also wore well - only minor tip wear after two days.



New York Color Nail Glossies - Turquoise Seas
- purchased at Rexall (local chain drug store) for $2.26 CDN

I loved Turquoise Seas in the bottle - a lovely turquoise shade with a greenish frostiness. It evokes thoughts of tropical beaches and warm days. However, that's where the love ended.

First the positives - it loks great in the bottle and the consistency is quite good. Now the negatives - it is so sheer that it will never reach bottle colour on the nail. I have four coats on in the picture and it is still hopelessly see-through (the photo actually makes it looks more opaque than it is due to the flash). If, unlike me, you don't mind visible nail line, then this polish may be up your alley. All I have to say is 'meh.' I took this polish off immediately after application so I can't comment on wear.


Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear - Sand Lots

- purchased at Rexall (chain drug store) for $1.52 CDN


Sand Lots is another extremely sheer polish. In the bottle, as well as on the nail, it is a frosty peachy pink. I can forgive the sheerness of this polish, however, because you can tell from looking at it in the bottle that it will leave visible nail line - there is no polish misrepresentation here. This would be an excellent subtle colour for the woman that wants neat nails in a conservative work place.

The three coats of Sand Lots that I used applied nicely. It had excellent wear - only very, very minor tip wear after two days (and one of those days involved some intensive housework).

4 comments:

gwensews said...

My favorites are Beach Bunny and Sand Lots. Beautiful nails. Have a wonderful time on your trip.

Trudy said...

I like the Sand Lots, too. I hope you have a great trip.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I like that Sand Lots as well--I generally wear a very sheer white because it doesn't look noticeably awful when it starts chipping off and I don't maintain it, LOL.

cidell said...

I'm deeply fascinated with yellows. Sadly, the pale pastel kinds that get chalky. But, this color looks like it has potential for me!