17 May 2010

Lacquer Lundi

In a comment to this post, Debbie Cook said "Just because I can see your toes, I was wondering - do you match your toes to your fingernails? And what color(s) did you wear with this great dress."

I must admit that I very rarely match the polish on my nails and toes.  I like changing my mani too often to change up the pedi as well.  So, I tend to go for very dark polish - it seems to de-emphasize my toes and just create a neat, clean look, that coordinates with anything I wear.  So, I go for colours like dark navy, bittersweet chocolate, charcoal or eggplant.

And, if I'm to be even more honest, I pretty much never do my own pedicures, because I don't enjoy the process.  I don't have any foot issues like some people do - I just don't like hunching over my feet to clean up cuticles and such.  Instead, I go to a local place that does a great job at a good price.  It's one of the very few times I pay someone to pamper me, so I enjoy the relaxation and the indulgence of the experience.  I can usually get away with going once a month during toe-baring seasons (I can't be bothered with pedicures in the winter months).

See below for the polish that I wore with my Prom dress.


Now, on to the pretties:

BB Couture - Green Goblin
- purchased at overallbeauty.com for $9.00 US

This is the colour that I wore with my recent Prom dress.  Green Goblin is a dark green creme that reminds me of a deep, shadowy forest.  It reads as black in low light conditions, but it is most definitely a dark green in regular indoor and outdoor lighting.  As I love green nail polish, I very pleased to add this one to my collection.

Green Goblin applied wonderfully, just like most BB Couture polishes.  It covered perfectly in two thin coats.  It also wore well - only minor tip wear after two days. 



 
Revlon - Ocean Breeze
- a present from a friend

Ocean Breeze is a pretty turquoise colour with a frosty, metallic finish.  It speaks of cool water on a hot summer day.  It is also scented and it is supposed to smell like an ocean breeze (hence the highly descriptive name).  However, when first applied it smells overpoweringly like Sea Breeze astringent and it gave me a wicked headache.  After a few hours, the odour became less pronounced (or perhaps my nose went into overload and short-circuited - who knows).  By the next day, I could hardly smell the scent at all.

Ocean Breeze applied nicely and required two coats for opacity.  It wore well, with only tip wear after one day.



Milani - Key Lime Shine
- purchased at Superstore (chain grocery store) for $4.99 CDN

This is the first Milani polish that I have reviewed.  I didn't even know they were available in Canada until I saw them last week while browsing th emakeup section in the Superstore.  I was even more excited when I saw some of the great colours (I have more to show you in the future). 

Key Lime Shine is an unique light silvery seafoam green polish with a frosty finish. I was smitten by the colour in the bottle.

Key Lim Shine applied reasonably well, although it was a bit streaky and required three coats for complete coverage.  Unfortunately, the wear was abysmal - I had major tip wear and a lot of chipping after one single day of wear.  I am not impressed.  I hope the other Milanis I got are not as craperific as Key Lime Shine.

9 comments:

Connie B said...

Now Shannon, I don't think that I have ever commented on one of your polish posts. This farm girl can ruin a polish quicker than you can say "chip"!
Having said that, I have to mention to you how many times this past weekend women have said to me "Connie, you are from Ontario, have you ever met HungryZombie Couture"? (I was at the PR Philly Weekend)
S0 - A. You are one popular blogger,
and
B. Some day we should meet in person!
Just saying!

Rose said...

I bet Green Goblin looked awesome with your amazing prom dress!

Carol said...

I know I always say I want these polishes, but that Green Goblin is heaven. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I want it. I hope to be in Toronto in August and I will visit every store I can until I find it! I bet it looked incredible with your dress!

Shannon said...

I found those new Revlons at my local drugstore and Ocean Breeze was the one I really wanted- it was also the only one that was completely sold out! I hope I can find it because it looks really pretty.

Anonymous said...

I am in love with Ocean Breeze! Wow! Makes me want to go out and buy some even though I think the last time I wore nailpolish was in fifth or sixth grade...
-K

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love reading all of your blogs' posts, especially the lacquer lundis being the teen I am, and look forward to seeing the new posts everyday. I have a quick question for you, I am on the lookout for an elusive blue-green polish with gold flecks. The original place I saw the polish is not coming to mind but, being the expert that you are, I was hoping you could help. Please get back to me on your comments or a post as I don't have a google account. Thanks so much!

Shannon said...

Anon - Blue-green with gold flecks, eh? Huh, I can't think of anything right now. Give me some more details, if you can. Is the polish teal, turquoise, jade...? Is it a creme base, jelly base..? Are the gold flecks very tiny like shimmer, very large like glitter or somewhere in between? Where did you see the polish - online, in a drug store...?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting back to me! Yes, details would probably be good. It's a more turquoise color and I am not sure of the base, but it seems like it would have been creme. The gold flecks are larger, as in each one visible in the bottle, almost like the rococo golf leaf lacquer size is what I found to be most similar in size. The place where I first saw it was probably in an American teen magazine i.e. Seventeen, Teen Vogue. Thanks again!

Bed Bug Exterminator Pasadena said...

Great blog postt