1 July 2010

Summer Begins

My marks are done, my room is clean and my photocopying for next September is done.  Today is the first day of my summer vacation - I am officially a woman of leisure.  The next nine weeks are mine to do with as I will.  I hope to get some sewing, gardening and painting (home dec) done.

I just wish I could feel more upbeat.  Although Simon is still eating well and relishing his morning walks, he is showing the effects of the lymphoma.  He sleeps most of the day now and the lumps in his throat are quite large (making it a bit difficult for him to breathe).  Most days I am able to remain positive and thankful that I get this chance to say goodbye to him.  Other days I am in a rage at the injustice of it all.  And on even other days, I am melancholy and sad. 

Thank you to everyone that has left a message (either on my last post or via email).  I cannot tell you how comforting it is to know that other people understand my sorrow.  Every word has meant more to me than you'll ever know.


In closing, I want to send out a huge Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canucks (both real and honourary).  And to end with a chuckle, check out The Canada Song, as sung by my favourite MST3K* trio, Servo, Crow and Mike:




* MST3K = Mystery Science Theatre 3000; one of my all time favourite shows!

17 comments:

JodieK said...

Shannon as a fellow Canadian teacher and dog owner/lover, I can say happy summer and hang in. Our dog, Dinah is a huge part of our lives in more ways than one (she's about 95 pounds) and we love her to pieces. I can't imagine how sad you must be feeling sometimes. Take care, enjoy your break and your time with Simon. All too soon it will be September and we'll be back at it!

Best wishes,
Jodie

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Happy Canada Day! I do hope that you get some sewing done...I live for your summer sewing vacays!

gwensews said...

Blessings and peace to you.

Maggie said...

I'm was so happy to hear that Simon and you can spend some good time together for as long as possible. I had the same thing happen with one of my dogs. And although the pats were given with tears dropping on my hand, I was so thankful I had the chance to say goodbye that way.
And I was was also glad to hear of your summer plans. Keep upbeat and busy.
MST 2000 was one of my faves about 20 years ago or so. I'll have to check out 3000.
Take care.

Carol said...

Happy Canada Day. I think of you and Simon every day.

angie.a said...

I'm glad you're finally off and leisure-ing!!

More hours to spend with Simon too. I know you're frustrated and sad, I am the same for you. Hang in there.

Tesla said...

I'm so glad you are off and will have more time to spend with Simon.

I understand how you feel as I lost my sweet boy earlier this year. Just enjoy your time and pack in all the love and memories you can.

I think of you and Simon each day. I hope you don't mind a few prayers for you and Simon too.

Anonymous said...

Happy summer sewing, woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of you and Simon, enjoy your time with him. Funny video from a fellow Canadian.

Marie-Christine said...

Hang in there, both of you. I suppose it's not really helpful to tell you about the friend's cat who lived 2 happy years after her diagnosis of terminal lung cancer 'she won't last 2 weeks'?? He's been doing pretty well, he still seems attached to life's pleasures, he can surprise you happily.
Most important for both of you I think is to enjoy the present. So go for walks, and I'm sure he's the kind of dog who loves to sit next to you as you sew.. Try to put off grief for when he's really dead, OK? It's not that much better after practicing.

Meg said...

Thinking of you and Simon...

Denise said...

I'm glad that you can spend more time with SImon. I know these are very hard days for you. Blessings to you both.

Helen said...

I'm so glad you have some time to spend with Simon. Enjoy your time with him (I know you will) and good luck with all your planned projects. Can't wait to some pics of your completed items. Love and kisses to Simon from Helen, Jesse, Angel, Charlie and Winnie xoxoxoxox

mem said...

I am so sorry to hear of Simons illness. I have the most wonderful dog Millie who is a labrdoodle and truley a great joy to us . I feel so sad when I think of her going . It is great though to have had the experience of her in our lives . Dogs teach us so much , mostly to live in the moment . I hope that your moments with Simon will be all they can be M

Miasews said...

Simon will always be with you, and he knows he was well loved.

Jan (from England) said...

Enjoy your summer off and enjoy your time with a special dog who loves you to bits just as you do him. Take care. Regards x

E said...

I didn't read your blog for some weeks, after telling me my cat Nicolas (14 years old) is dying for a multiorganic failure and now I read you and I see you are in the same situation, the difference is that you show more maturity than I do because I just can't cope with it in this moment. Anyway I want you to send all my strength for the bad moments that are coming and all the happiness you can share with Simon till the end. Big hugs and kisses from Spain.